Album – TBH
Mood – Relaxed, Chill, Fun, Sexual
Genre – RNB, Afropop, Pop, Afrobeats
Songwriters – Simi, Deja, Fave, Adekunle Gold
Runtime – 28 minutes
Tracks – 11
Producers – P.Prime , Blaisebeatz, Ozedikus, Pheelz, Aykbeats
Label – Studiobrat
Theme: Love, Loyalty, Moral Values, Lifetsyle
Features – Simi, Deja, Fave, Adekunle Gold
Mixed by Simi and Mastered by Vtek
Release date: 3rd of June, 2022.
SIMI returns to the mainstream Nigerian music scene with the release of her album entitled ‘To Be Honest”. The album is a personal tell tale of Simisola Bolatito Kosoko aka Simi’s Life, Marriage and Career so far.
The album is officially her fourth studio album and her first independent album under her record label “Studio Brat”.
We examine the track list and do a track by track breakdown of the songs on the album.
1. Story Story – The intro track to the album is the Blaise beats produced “Story Story”. Simi sings of her origins in Ojuelegba (same hood with Wizkid), early days of her career recording demos, trying to get Asa attention, singing gospel songs with 10k compensation and her present growth of getting millions in revenue.
2. Born again – On born again, Simi goes a bit dancehall and flexes her lyrical prowess. She talks about being born again and being a better version of herself. This track draws inspiration from Jamaican dancehall with elements of Adekunle Gold songwriting. The track is produced by Blaisebeats.
3. Naked wire – This is one of the first singles released off the project. The Pprime produced track is a love ballad. Simi sings praises of her romantic lover. She sings “you spark my fire, my naked wire, drowning in the depths of my heart desires”. Pprime once again proves himself as one of the most promising producers in the country with his excellent productions.
4. Loyal ft Fave – It’s Blaise beats again on this classic record. Probably the most well written song off the album. Simi melodiously sings about matching the energy of her friends and partners, promising to stay loyal to them till the end of time. The featured artiste, Fave of (Baby riddim fame), also delivers excellently on the track.
She says “brother don’t say what you cannot take back, I don’t like no fake love’. A classic track in all ramifications.
5. Balance ft Adekunle Gold – Simi continues on the mid–tempo vibes that is evident on the album. The duo talks about finding balance in life and enjoying oneself in the midst of life ups and downs. Simi interpolates Fireboy“Peru” and uses some sweet igbo lingua on the chorus. The track is produced by Ozedikus.
6. Logba logba – The instrumental reminds one of BurnaBoy’s “Odogwu” produced by Kel P. This track is a great blend of Highlife and Afrobeats. This is a track for the owambe parties and social gatherings. Simi once again shows vocal and lyrical prowess with her wordplay and rhythm. Another fantastic production from Blaisebeats.
7. Easy ft Deja – Following the footsteps of Beyonce on brown skin girl with blue ivy, Simi also features her first daughter Dejare on easy. Simi admonishes listeners to take things slow and easy. She tells listener to take life one step at a time. Deja voice comes in at the end saying “take it easy o. A track with a powerful message.
8. No Joy – Simi showcases her versatility by taking the hip-hop route on this joint. Simi insists “fxck all the people with no joy”. She targets trolls on social media and haterswhile admonishing people not to give attention to negative people in their lives. The song is produced by revered producer “Pheelz.
9. Temper – Produced by the relative new name, Aykbeats, Simi talks and brags about being the best artist version of herself on the track. She states that she is on top and she’s a boss in the club with her Don Perion. Simi explores all the features of the Afropop lyrics and wordplay on this track. A certified club banger definitely. Beautiful music.
10. Nobody – On Nobody, Simi sings about the love of her life. She sings passionately that she wouldn’t commit to no one else but her lover. A great track for lovers and the romantic folks. Lovers will have a field time enjoying the tracks on this album.
11. Love for me – Simi delivers a gospel track reminiscent of her earlier career days to round up this stellar album. “Baba God get love for me; e get love for me” – Simi sings passionately. This looks like a song that will penetrate the older generation and gospel circle. A stellar effort from blaise beats who handles the production.
This is Simi’s first proper project as an independent artiste after the release of her restless EP in 2020. This project clearly shows that Simi has control over her creative process and is able to showcase her versatility and lyrical prowess more. Just like herprevious projects, TO BE HONEST contains majorly mid-tempo – slow tempo songs as Simi switches between RnB, Afropop, Dancehall, and Afro beats.
The album rates A+ in terms of lyrics and song writing and is probably the most well written Simi’s project ever released.SIMI outdid herself with song writing on this project especially on stand out tracks like Temper, Nobody, Loyal and Story Story.
The album is cohesive in light of the theme as Simi focuses on the concepts of love, loyalty and lifestyle while ensuring the themes are reflected on the album tracks with a calm, relaxed and chilled mood inherent.
The versatility on the album is also crystal clear as Simi intends the album for the lovers, the older generation, the club lovers and the owambe mamas .
Simi also achieved something quite spectacular with this album. The album does not sound monotonous, a feature most critics have pointed out in her previous works.
On this project, there is a new feel and dimension to her sonorous work on every track. The productions must especially be noted. All the producers on the album came through with excellent and refreshing productions and the sound engineering carried out by Simi and long-time friend Vtek is indeed out of this world. Special shout out to Blaisebeats who produced over 5 of the tracks on the project. Its an A+ for the production and sound engineering.
The Track arrangement is also very commendable.
To be honest, To be honest has proved that Simi did not make the wrong decision by going independent and it is obvious that the talented artiste is experiencing growth as an artiste and getting in fully into her comfort zone. TBH is an absolutely enjoyable album.
Album rating : 8/10